Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Learning through web-conferencing


         As part of PIDP 3100 assignment, I was to pair up with my learning partner and find a topic together and then to setup another date to do a teach-back to each other on the research that we found. There were two aspects to this assignment/exercise I found very interesting:
          
         The first was the more noticeable aspect in which we realized how we both could envision such different directions on the same topic. Our topic was technology and education, Jan found that cellphones in class rooms could be advantageous to her teaching and not as an annoyance as she once thought. For me, I found out that tablets are being used as a teaching tool at Stanford University, something that I am currently utilizing as well. Personally Jan’s reflections were something I would have never thought of, and it definitely opened my eyes to that aspect.
          
          On the other hand, this assignment was interesting if we look at it from the class instructor’s perspective. Why does this part of the assignment work? It works because we have two adult learners. If we look at the principles of andragogy, the following applies: Each of us was self-directed, we found our own resources and interpretations, we shared and gained through teaching each other findings and life/work experiences and because we are both currently instructors (in different fields) we are able to apply our findings relatively quickly. Therefore even though it is a relatively straight forward assignment, I found it particularly intriguing.

No comments: